Slide 1: Crystal Palace
Slide 3: Damascus, Great Mosque
Slide 4: Chartres cathedral
Slide 5: Siena, aerial view
Slide 6: Houses of Parliament
Slide 8: Louvre, Pyramid
Slide 9: City plans: Canterbury
Slide 10: City plans: Florence
Slide 11: Caernarvon Castle
Slide 12: Stokesay Castle, Herefordshire
One of the finest fortified manor houses in England and built originally by Lawrence de Ludlow, a wealthy wool merchant in the 13th century. The de Sayes fortified it against Welsh marauders. It is from the de Sayes that its name derives. It has its own timber-framed gatehouse built around 1600. The parish church sustained damage during the English Civil War by Parliamentary forces, after the action that took place on 8th June 1645. Sir William Crofts, the ablest of the Herefordshire Royalists was killed in the action.
Slide 13: Kings Cross
Slide 14: St Pancras station
St Pancras Station is the gateway between London and the Midlands.
The station was designed by WH Barlow (1812-1902) Engineer-in-Chief to the Midland Railway and opened for passenger use in October 1868. The trainshed rises to a height of 105 feet above the rails, is 690 feet in length and 240 wide. At the time it was considered an engineering wonder and was the largest single – span enclosed space in the world. London & Continental Stations & Property Ltd. is the facility owner of St Pancras and is responsible for the management of safety and security matters at the station. Train services are provided by Midland Main Line Ltd.
Slide 15: The Lloyds Building should be seen after dark. It is built in 1986 by the architecture that also designed Centre Pompidou in Paris, Richard Rogers. The lights of the building accentuate the structures and service parts like elevators and air – condition shafts. Even when you see the Lloyds building more times, you can walk around it in astonishment, looking up all the way.” Lloyds Building
Slide 16: Pompidou Centre, Paris
Slide 17: St Peter’s: Sangallo model
Slide 18: St Peter’s
Slide 20: Easton Neston (search Google for image)
Slide 21: S.Carlino, Rome
The church and the convent located a the Four Fountain cross – road was designed by Borromini in 1634. The church, dedicated to S. Carlo, is very small and it is also known as S. Carlino. Note: the oval dome with its ingenious little lanterns. Finished in 1667, the facade is one of Borromini’s last works. In the crypt a small curved chapel reserved for him remains empty, because he committed suicide in 1667.
Slide 22: S.Moise, Venice
Slide 23: Colosseum
Slide 24: Ely cathedral, nave
Slide 25: Pugin Contrasts
Slide 26: National Gallery, Sainsbury Wing
Slide 27: Laon cathedral
1165-1211, Laon is the flagship church of the Northern School of Early Gothic. Thick-walled and highly sculptural, the building also was supposed to have seven towers.
Slide 28: Kutna Hora (Czech Republic)
Kutna Hora developed as a result of the exploitation of the silver mines. In the 14 it became a royal city endowed with monuments that symbolized its prosperity. The Church of St Barbara, a jewel of the late Gothic period, and the Cathedral of Our Lady at Sedlec, which was restored in line with the Baroque taste of the early 18th century, were to influence the architecture of central Europe. These masterpieces today form part of a well – preserved medieval urban fabric with some particularly fine private dwellings.