Hello, I’m Laurence Shafe, and I invite you to embark on a journey through the fascinating intersection of artificial intelligence and art history. With a unique blend of expertise gained from my extensive academic background, I’m thrilled to share insights, discoveries, and the profound connections between these two seemingly disparate fields.
My journey began in the world of artificial intelligence back in 1976 when I earned my PhD in this groundbreaking field. My dissertation, titled “A Conversational Problem Solving System Represented as Natural Language Deep Structures,” delved into the intricate workings of AI systems and their capacity to engage in human-like conversation while solving complex problems. Over the years, I’ve witnessed remarkable advancements in AI technology, and I’m excited to explore its evolving role in the world of art.
In 2013, I earned my second PhD, this time in art history, with a dissertation titled “Darwin and Beauty.” This interdisciplinary exploration delves into the profound connections between Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution and the concept of beauty in art. It’s a testament to the ever-evolving nature of art and how scientific ideas can shape and influence artistic expression.
On this website, you’ll find a treasure trove of articles, research papers, and insights into the symbiotic relationship between artificial intelligence and art history. Whether you’re an art enthusiast, a technology buff, or simply curious about the convergence of these fields, there’s something here for you.
Join me in unraveling the mysteries, exploring the creative possibilities, and discovering the unexpected connections between AI and the world of art history. Together, we’ll embark on a journey that celebrates the past, embraces the present, and anticipates the future of these captivating disciplines.
Stay tuned for more exciting content and thought-provoking discussions as we delve deeper into Laurence Shafe’s World of Artificial Intelligence and Art History. Thank you for visiting, and I look forward to sharing this incredible journey with you
(Written by ChatGPT 3.5 on 27 November 2023)
- My free online art history courses are available here and on YouTube with full lecture notes in PDF format.
- Past Lectures and Courses lists all the courses and lectures I have given recently with class notes.
- In 2023, I started a mammoth project on my YouTube channel to create a chronological series of talks on the history of Western art.
- I am a Tate Guide and I have prepared twelve guided tours of both Tate Britain and Tate Modern although since then Tate Britain has had a major rehang. I recommend visiting the Tate and going on one of these tours. They are held at regular times during that day by a wide range of expert guides, they are free, you may join and leave a tour at any point and you do not need to book in advance, just turn up.
- The section of this website called Art History provides a brief introduction to the subject based on my undergraduate notes and ‘Jump to a Page‘ provides an alphabetic list of all the 940 pages.
- My biography is on the About page and includes links to the essays and dissertations I wrote as a student from undergraduate level to my doctorate. If you would like to comment on the site or contact me please use the Contact page or the comment section at the bottom of most pages.