Ely cathedral, presbytery (1234-52)
Ely cathedral Presbytery
The Presbytery The Presbytery was built in the 13th century to house the shrine of St Etheldreda, founder of the Cathedral. It became a major site of pilgrimage in medieval times. Etheldreda’s Shrine stood in the Presbytery until the dissolution of the Monastery by Henry VIII. At the order of Bishop Goodrich, Bishop of Ely, the shrine was completely destroyed. A commemorative slab now marks the site. It was laid in 1973 to mark the 1300 anniversary of a church on this site.