San Giovanni Crisostomo
Venice San Giovanni Crisostomo
CHURCH OF SAN GIOVANNI CRISOSTOMO – Sestiere of Canaregio, XV sec. –
Built between 1497 and 1504, San Giovanni Crisostomo is the last architecture work by Mauro Codussi who used here many elements used before in San Michele or in San Zaccaria.
The project by Codussi and all the paintings make this church one of the most important churches of the Venetian Renaissance: in the first chapel on the right handside is kept a painting with San Girolamo, San Cristoforo and Sant’Agostino, a mature work (1513) by Giovanni Bellini, that seems to speak with the other paintings on the main altar with San Giovanni Crisostomo and the Saints Giovanni Battista, Liberale, Maria Maddalena, Agnese and Caterina, painted between 1509 and 1511 by Sebastiano del Piombo, just before the artist left Venice to go to Rome.