Exeter Cathedral exterior
Decorated Gothic (1275-1375) – aka Geometric, Curvilinear, and Flamboyant
The church here was begun in the 11th century, but most of what remains is the result of rebuilding between 1275-1375. The Lady chapel and retrochoir were added at this time, to be followed by the presbytery and the choir. The nave was built in the mid 14th century, under the direction of Richard Farleigh, who was also responsible for the spire at Salisbury. The vaulting extends for an extraordinary 300 feet, making it the longest uninterrupted stone vault in Britain. The carving is wonderful, particularly in the Minstrel’s gallery (look for the 14 angels, each carrying a different musical instrument)and the pulpitum.